The 5 Do’s and Don’ts of Digital Publishing
According to the latest digital publishing studies, digital audiences spend about 2.6 seconds scanning an online page before focusing on a particular section. They also spend an average of 180 milliseconds fixating on one particular section before moving on. These facts require digital publishers to not only create digital publications, but to plan and develop strategies for creating beautiful layouts and engaging digital content.In this article, we are going to uncover some essential do’s and don’ts of digital publishing which will help you with your awesome digital publications.
Digital Publishing DO’s:
1. Use social media and personal websites to promote your work. To maximize your publication’s exposure, you need to ensure that it can be seen on personal and social media sites (like Facebook, since half of the word’s internet users are on it).
2. Use interactivity to keep your audience engaged. Digital publishing means an unprecedented level of interactivity you won’t find anywhere else. Many online platforms let users add video, audio, photos, and interactive plugins to their content.
3. Use tracking analytics to learn what does and doesn’t work with your content. Most digital publishing platforms come with detailed tracking statistics that let you glean useful information about your readers, like which pages they stayed on and viewed the most.
4. Optimize your content for mobile devices. 90% of American adults own a cell phone! And that’s not including the rest of the global population. That’s why it’s super important that your content can be accessed from major mobile devices like Android, IOS, and Windows.
5. Write about things that you want to write about! Don’t feel pressured to write about something that everyone else is writing about. Choose a subject that is unique and that you think readers will love to learn more about.
Digital Publishing DON’Ts:
1. Neglect your readers and subscribers. Your audience is a key measuring tool for your publishing success. Listen to their feedback, find out what does and doesn’t work, and fine-tune your content. Remember: write for yourself AND your audience.
2. Ignore the importance of SEO (Search Engine Optimization)! The LAST thing you want is for your awesome publications not to show up on search engines like Google. Link your site and publications to keywords that make them search engine friendly and generate traffic for you.
3. Write about subjects that have already been written by others A LOT. It’s easier said than done, but try exploring a topic that’s not talked about much and has potential to grow into a major discussion.
4. Expect your digital publications to get popular by word of mouth only. You need to be proactive with promoting your digital content. Don’t plan on using every social media site to do so, but stick to the ones that are working best for you.
5. Feel overwhelmed by all the options available to you. The world of digital publishing can be intimidating, especially if you’re new to it. Always remember, though, that it’s intended to simplify the publishing process so you can create truly incredible content for the world to enjoy! You’ll get the hang of it!